How to be a Private Investigator

Certificate III in Investigative Services

You will need to apply for your Unique Student Identifier number.  

You can apply for a course through ASSI (Australian School of Security & Investigations) in Perth and, if you intend to apply to become a subcontractor at Pathfinder Investigations, then we highly recommend that you also opt for the Specialist Course: Locating Persons. If you have served as a Police Officer, you can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning by speaking to Gemma Curtis in Midland WA on 08 9250 8233 or emailing her at If your service was in the UK, then Contact Us for guidance.

Alternatively, you can contact Craig Mackellar at Paragon Training in Perth CBD on 08 9227 5125

Paragon Training Logo

Or, if you prefer self-paced learning online, contact Glen Thomasen at Private Investigator’s College of Australia which is based in Brisbane, and be sure to mention that Jan Ross recommended you.



Police Checks

If you are a migrant, you will need to apply for a Police Check in any other countries you have lived in. For example, if you are from the UK, you will need to apply to the CRO here , where you can now pay by EFT. You may need your fingerprints taking first, which we can do for you. The certificate will probably take weeks to come through. If you have lived in several countries, it is recommended that you contact your Police Licensing Section to find out how far back they want you to go. You do not need to apply for a Police Check in Australia, that will be done automatically when you submit the application for your licences.

Investigator’s Licences

Before following the instructions here  in order to get your licences through WAPOL at Cannington and have your fingerprints taken by them, it is recommended you telephone Jan Ross on 0488 184 459 for some procedural guidance. The licences take 3-4 weeks to come through.

Process Serving

You do not need any licences to be a Process Server, you just need a Police Check, a driving licence, a vehicle, a mobile phone, a computer and printer. The role entails visiting residential or business premises, serving Court Documents, writing an Affidavit of Service and then signing it in the presence of a Justice of the Peace. Guidance will be provided. 

Current Opportunities

We currently cover the Greater Perth Area from Jurien Bay to Moora, Koorda, Merredin, Narrogin, Albany, Denmark, Walpole, Bunbury to Rottnest Island, however, we are looking to extend our network throughout Western Australia and nationally. 

If have your own ABN, have permission to work in Australia, and you wish to apply to become a subcontractor, please Contact us today.